Our building was originally The Willard Hotel. The hotel was designed by renowned architect Henry C. Trost and built by Willard Wright. The hotel was owned by William Siewert. When it opened on September 3, 1902, the Arizona Daily Citizen described the hotel “as a marvel: it is simply ahead of anything in the Southwest …”
The hotel was described as
Thirty rooms all en suite, and all easy of access. Of the rooms some half dozen are provided with private baths, besides these there are those not directly connected with the rooms. The rooms are well lighted, carpeted with body Brussels and furnished with the late style of iron bedsteads, the beading being all that the most fastidious could desire. There are no two carpets alike, and in grades of furniture the selections are in oak and maple, both pleasing to the eye.
During WWII, the hotel was converted into apartments and in 1944 became the “Pueblo Hotel.” This redeveloped property had 32 rooms, 19 with kitchenettes, and second story porches. In 1955 a swimming pool and rows of palm trees were added. The Pueblo Hotel closed in the early 1970s after an extensive fire.
In 1991, our law firm purchased the building and undertook a gut renovation.
While all mechanical, electrical, plumbing and other essential systems were brought up to modern standards, the essential architectural elements of this historic building were maintained.
The hallways and ceilings were restored to their original dimensions, the lobby is maintained in substantially the same configuration as originally built, the main staircase was restored and other architectural details preserved.
Piccarreta Davis Keenan Fidel began occupying this historical landmark in 1993 following two years of renovation. Unfortunately, various sign regulations prohibited renovation of the sign and consequently it stood unlighted for 20 years. Finally, the City of Tucson saw the “light” and revised the City sign code. The “diving lady” was taken down and restored to her former glory by Cook Signs. On May 11, 2012, hundreds of Tucsonans helped us relight the “diving lady” once again.